Chittorgarh Fort is one of the largest and the grandest fort in Rajasthan. This is situated on the left side of Berach river and known as the water fort because the fort consisted around 84 water bodies inside it and at present 22 is visible now. The fort situated 175 KM east of Udaipur. Visiting hours are 9.45 AM to 6.00 PM. Mewari and Marwari are the most commonly spoken languages of the people residing in Chittorgarh. Hindi, English, and Mewari are the official languages in Chittorgarh.
Find below some facts about Cittorgarh fort.
1. Location – Chittorgarh district, Udaipur Division, Rajasthan.
2. Founder – Chittrangada Mouri
3. Area – 692 meters
4. Current status – The fort declared as a UNESCO world heritage site
Owners of the fort in the history
1. Mori dynasty
2. Bappa Rawal took the control in AD 730. He was the founder of the Mewar Kingdom. Mewar Kingdom possessed for 7 centuries.
3. Alaudin Khilji took over the fort in 1303
4. Maldeva of Sonigra leader
5. Hammir singh of Mewar dynasty in 1310
6. Akbar of Mughal Dynasty in 1568
7. In 1616 Jahangir returned to Mewar dynasty as a goodwill gesture under a condition that it will not repaired.
Brief of Chittorgarh fort History
Chittorgarh for is the capital of Mewar dynasty and it is a world record holding fact that Mewar dynasty continuously ruled Chittorgarh for 8 decades. In 1303, Alaudin Khilji decided to attack the fort and he succeeded. He wanted to marry the queen Padmavati after defeating Maratha army. But Padmavati along with many royal women immolated themselves(this is known as “Jauhar” ) before trapping in the hands of Khilji. Such incidents happened many times in the Mewar kingdom. It is also a remarkable incident of Meera Bai, who was the wife of Mewar prince Bhojraj Singh in the early 16th century. She was refused to perform “Jauhar” after the death of her husband in a war. She moved to Vrindavan and spent her rest of life with her devotion towards Sree Krishna.
Important structures inside the fort
The fort has seven gates named Padan Pol, Bhairon Pol, Hanuman Pol, Jorla Pol, Ganesh Pol, Laxman Pol, Ram Pol (Pol means Gate).
The fort has 65 structures including temples, palaces, memorials and water bodies. There are two prominent towers within the premises of the fort namely Vijay Stambha (Tower of Victory) and Kirti Stambha (Tower of Fame).
The Fort looks roughly like a fish from the sky. It is 13 km area covered. The main Gate is known as Ram gate.
Vijay Stambh was built by Rana Kumbha in 1448 to celebrate his victory over Mahmud Shah I Khalji. It is a nine storey building. The tower is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The slabs in the uppermost part of the tower contain a detailed genealogy of the rulers of Chittor and their deeds. The fifth floor of the tower contains the names of the architect, Sutradhar Jaita, and his three sons who helped him build the tower. The remarkable religious pluralism and tolerance practiced by the Rajputs is clearly visible in the victory tower. The Jain Goddess Padmavati sits at the topmost storey, while the third storey and the eighth storey have the word Allah carved in Arabic. The height of the tower is 37 meters. It is technically called as a Kirttistambha or a Kirti Stambha.
Kirti Stambha was erected by a jain merchant named Bagherwal Jain in the 12th century to honor Adinath, the first Jain tirthankar. It was built during the reign of Rawal Kumar Singh (c. 1179-1191). The tower has 22 meter height.
Rana Kumbha’s palace, which in a ruining stage now. The palace once served as the main residence of Rana Kumbha and is one of the oldest structure within the fort.
Fateh Prakash Palace – The structure built by Rana Fateh Singh. It was built in the Rajput style of architecture. It has a vast collection of wood crafts, post medieval statues of Jain Ambika and Indra, weapons like axes, knives and shields, terracotta statues of local tribal people, paintings, and crystal ware.
There is a temple dedicated to the poetess-saint Meera who was the wife of Mewar prince Bhojraj Singh.
In the southern part stands the majestic three storied structure, Rani Padmini’s palace. This is the most famous structure and more tourists coming to view this Palace and details about Rani Padmini.
Kalika Mata Temple Initially a temple dedicated to the Sun God, it was reconstructed in the name of Goddess Kali.
Temple to Goddess Tulja Bhavani – It stands towards the western side of the fort,
How to reach Chittorgarh Fort :-
By Air :- Nearest Airport is Udaipur which is also known as Maharana Prathap airport. From there around 175 Km distance should travel to reach the Chittaurgarh fort.
By Rail:- Nearest Railway station is Chittorgarh which is 6 Km away from the fort. Also, you can get down Chandeliya station, which is 11 Km away from the fort. Main trains are Udaipur city – Jaipur city express which departs from Udaipur at 6.00 AM and arriving at Chittorgarh at 8.00 AM. From the railway station you will get an auto rickshaw for moderate charges. There are many other trains serving from Udaipur to Chittorgarh.
Also Luxury trains by Indian railway, Palace on wheels and Maharajah express also has stop at Chittorgarh.
By road :- All cities in Rajasthan like Udaipur, Kotah, Jaipur are well connected with Road to Chittorgarh. It will take 2 hours from Udaipur to Chittorgarh.
The huge size of the fort requires any transportation method to view it within one day. If you don’t have own vehicle, you can hire bicycle or Auto Rickshaw from near to the ticket counter. There is an entrance fee into the fort. Also, you can ask the service of a guide to explain the history of each structure inside the fort.